Rwanda News Agency Grands Lacs Hebdo

The Rwanda News Agency website is a newswire based in Kigali. It is neither state-owned nor state-run.

It is a subscription service and you are not logged in, so some content is hidden. Login to access full stories, or register for a free trial.

Police warns over keeping petroleum products in the house

E-mail Print PDF

Kigali: The Police have warned the general public against keeping petroleum products in the house, an illegal and dangerous act.

The warning follows a fire outbreak incident that occurred on September 19 in Rusizi District, Nkaka Sector in Karangazi Cell apparently caused by petroleum products that were in the house.

It is alleged that one Juvens Ntezimana, who is said to be an illegal dealer in petroleum products, had a jerrycan of petrol in the house, which was ignited by a lit charcoal stove that was nearby.

The fire spread to other two neighbouring houses destroying property

Police spokesperson for the Western region, Chief Inspector of Police (CIP) Innocent Gasasira, said Police firefighters with the help of the residents, managed to put out the fire before it could spread to other houses in the neighbourhood.

“Inflammable liquids such as petrol, diesel and kerosene are strictly sold at petrol stations not in houses or elsewhere. Beyond that, keeping such inflammable products in the house is risky, it can cause fire like this similar case and lead to loss of lives and property” said CIP Gasasira.

“We call upon the public to report such people involved in this black market to prevent disasters they might bring to them,” he added.

The public were also advised against leaving lit candles in the house or unattended, using lay electricians or using substandard electric cables, one of the other causes of fire outbreak. (End)


Rwanda: Doing Business


FAO au Rwanda